Monday, April 28, 2008

SHEKHAR KAMULLA - A GENTLE BREEZE IN TELUGU CINEMA

I was told by one of my Orkut friends Sushanth to watch the Telugu movies ANAND, GODAVARI and HAPPY DAYS. I asked him what so special is. He told u will come to know if you watch. Since that day I had been trying to watch those movies. So when Mithun went to Hyderabad I told him to buy the DVDs. First I watched Anand. I liked it but it didn’t impress me as hyped by others. The next day I watched Godavari and fell in love with it. Since Happy Days was a pirated DVD, I didn’t wish to watch. Also the audio and video quality was not good. But I couldn’t wait to watch it and liked it very much.

The specialty in the 3 movies is the Originality and Simplicity. The Telugu cinema generally has Extreme violence, glamour, comic costumes and has no logic. IMO the good Telugu movies are countable. After K.Vishwanath no director has given a Classic movie in Telugu. But Shekhar Kamulla came as a gentle breeze in Tollywood. He has got the National Award for the Best Director for his debut movie DOLLAR DREAMS which is based on the youngsters with dreams to go to the US. But I haven't watched that yet.

The heroes and heroines of his movies are like the boys and girls next door. No heroism and no Glamour in his movies. I liked them because there’s no action scene or blood-shed in them. Most surprisingly the songs are very melodious and mostly based on Classical Music. The songs are mostly along with the movie. We cannot ignore them. If we do so, we will miss some scenes as the songs are not dream sequences. The heroine of ANAND and GODAVARI is Kamalini Mukherji. I didn’t like her much in Vettayaadu Vilayaadu as a pair of Kamalhassan. But in ANAND, I liked her and in GODAVARI, I loved her a lot. She had a Guest Appearance in HAPPY DAYS too. It seems she is a Lucky Mascot for Shekhar Kamulla as Kajol to Karan Johar?

No comments: